Sweetwater Extra Chill 420

You are not signed in. Login or Register

Back to Community Feedback

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
    toadnugget
    Just a toad, man!

I saw today that Sweetwater released a beer called the Sweetwater Extra Chill 420, but I didn’t see anything about it on your socials or your website. I thought y’all had made a beer with Fatty’s Beer Works in Charleston?

What’s up with the Sweetwater beer? Do y’all have anything to do with that?

Here’s an article I saw about it: https://www.craftbrewingbusiness.com/news/sweetwater-expands-flagship-420-line-in-new-variety-pack/

DeadPhreak
    Participant

I was wondering the same. I know the Pour House carries Sweetwater beer and so do a lot of other places in Charleston. Seems like Extra Chill would have posted about this if it was official. It would have been a pretty big deal.

chubes
    HMFIC

Hey y’all, this was not an official collaboration and we did not know about it until today. We are equally confused and I have reached out to Sweetwater directly in hopes of resolving the issue.

toadnugget
    Just a toad, man!

Wait… are you saying… that Sweetwater Brewing might have stolen your name?

chubes
    HMFIC

Not necessarily. I said that I was not informed of this before it happened and I’m working to resolve the issue.

I’ll share more updates when I have them.

QRiSG

I mean….. Yea they obviously did steal the name.. Charleston bars are already saying they are going to stop carrying Sweetwater products.. Extra Chill has been a staple in the Charleston community for 13 years and it’s disheartening to see them ripped off by a regional company with similar ties and interests in music.. I’ve supported that brand for years and now I just have a sour taste in my mouth.. and it’s not from the (insert uninspired weed reference) named beer. Hopefully they do what’s right.. or their product will not be supported in Charleston.

QRiSG

They literally stole our face right off our heads .. they probably don’t know the reference bc they think WSP invented jam music..

DeadPhreak
    Participant

I’m also a longtime Sweetwater drinker and I didn’t want to be the one to say it. But it really does seem like they stole the Extra Chill name and slapped it on a can without giving credit.

It’s weird because The Psycodelics, Little Stranger, and Kanika Moore are all playing 420 Fest in like two weeks and they all have strong ties with Extra Chill. If Sweetwater is pushing that beer at the event, it will be interesting to say the least.

I hope it’s just a simple oversight but it also seems like somebody who works at Sweetwater would have heard about Extra Chill by now considering how long it has been around.

Definitely not a great look for them in terms of the Charleston market and overall music industry reputation.

toadnugget
    Just a toad, man!

Here’s a photo of the beer, btw

toastedcarrot
    Participant

You know you made it when a company as big as Sweetwater is ripping you off…

MarleyFacedBoy
    Gamehendge Liaison

They should at least offer you a free beer, man

Ravenel_Fridge
    Plugged In

Wow this is super lame. I have tickets to 420 fest and I was really excited about it. Not sure if I even want to even go anymore.

TheDevilsLettuce
    Participant

chubes
    HMFIC

This is a tiny picture but it shows the label.

chucktownboomer
    Participant

This is unfortunate, however, it seems less like they were purposely ripping you off and more like the person who made the decision to name the beer Extra Chill knows nothing about the SC music scene and has never heard of Extra Chill. Y’all are growing, but you are not something like Rolling Stone where you would be recognized by beer makers in Atlanta or corporate stiffs at Tilray HQ.

Just because some artists playing 420 festival are your friends and you book shows at bars that carry Sweetwater products does not mean that they know who you are. I say this as an old man with a lot of experience.

That said, doing the right thing still implies an acknowledgement of Extra Chill in Charleston in some way.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Users Currently Online: 2

Most Ever Online: 8 on 02/06/2024

Total Members: 203